Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How can I tell if my dog's broken toenail is infected?

The other day, I let my dog in and he was limping. I noticed that his claw was bleeding. It looked like the entire outside of the nail had came off. The remaining nail was short and very red (not just because it was covered with blood either) I have no idea how it happened but he was in a lot of pain. I cleansed the wound and wrapped it up. He still is limping a lot two days later. It's not bleeding but the nail is still red. It doesn't smell (don't laugh too hard!). It doesn't appear to be oozing pus or anything, but I can tell it hurts him.


What should I do?How can I tell if my dog's broken toenail is infected?
You can put some neosporin on it, and keep it wrapped- if it stays red and puffy, though, you might see a vet. If it's not better by Monday, I think I would take him in.How can I tell if my dog's broken toenail is infected?
Yes, have it looked at by her vet. It can become infected and even require amputation. A vet tech friend's dog did the same thing a couple months back...also a Boston Terrier!





Edit: I could possibly give you her email, if you want her opinion? Although, I'm sure she would say the same thing I said. If I remember correctly, her dog was started on antibiotics and pain medication the same day. More added: Yes, she was...because a nail bed infection can move into the bone.
One word: Vet. At least call them and ask their professional opinion.
it's probably simply hurting. you described a terrible thing. you would be limping 2 days later if your toe nail had been hurt in the same fashion. I would give it about a week and a half, if nothing has changed take your little one to the vet
I would call your vet and ask for their recommendation. What you are describing is a torn nail and the most common treatment for it is to simply cut the nail off at the base. The short, red nail you are describing is the exposed nerve and blood vessels (the quick) and as you can imagine and tell from your dog's behavior it is very painful. Cutting the nail off at the base hurts like hell, but once the cut is made the pain fades away quickly and he should be back to normal within a day. It doesn't sound like it's infected, but it is very painful and will be for quite a while if you decide not to cut it back to the base.
The one thing that stands out in you statement is '; I can tell it hurts him'; take him to the vet for some pain medication and he may need to be on antibiotics.
What you see is the inside of the nail (the ';quick';) which is the tip of a blood vessel (redness) %26amp; a nerve ending (pain). It will be painful until the nail grows back over it just as your finger or toe would be painful if your nail came off. It may be helpful to apply 1-2 drops of super glue to cover the nerve ending. This lasts about 3-5 days to help with pain. If it's infected, you may see pus in the area, or swelling and redness at the tip of the toe.
Vet's usually will give prophylactic antibiotics for this...just give your vet a call to let him/her know what happened, they'll probably just put up meds for you with a phone call.
Keep it wrapped and put some betadine on it to prevent infection. Just keep an eye on it. It should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment