Saturday, August 21, 2010

I am going to get my big toenail removed sometime next week...?

It keeps getting infected so the doc wants to take it out to see what is the cause of the problem.


I want to know on a scale of 1-10 how much does the toe hurt after the numbness goes away?I am going to get my big toenail removed sometime next week...?
The doctor will give you a nerve block to remove the nail. This block will numb a good part of your foot for around 24 hours. After that I thought the pain was around a 4, and I'm a big baby. He will probably give you an antibiotic to put right on the nail bed which will burn a little, but it is very tolerable. The warm soaks which he should prescribe really help, and feel good. Don't stress out too much. It really wasn't bad for me...I am going to get my big toenail removed sometime next week...?
I had my big toenail removed about 15 years ago, and I regret it. It did hurt quite a bit at the time, and I do feel self conscious in sandals.





I had a toenail infection that did not respond to treatment, and yes, the drugs that are available today are hard on the liver. But looking back, I wish I hadn't done it. The doctor left quite a bit of toenail so the nail bed is still pretty flat, but the nail and cuticle that grow there are so WEIRD looking. On the scale of sorrows possible in the human lifespan, I know this ranks very, very low -- it's vanity, really. My nail bed is very sensitive when I groom my little stub. It's just strange. I guess it's better than burdening the liver which we need, but still...I don't like it.





Somebody told me to get an acrylic nail applied to my nail bed if I hate it so much, but that seems like a terrible idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment