Saturday, August 21, 2010

How long will it take for my toenail to look normal again?

I stubbed my toe nail about 2 months ago and it hurt like hell for about 2 or 3 days afterwards. The pain is now completely gone but toe nail is now clearly dead and very loose. Following some advice I was given by a nurse at a Walk-in centre I've been keeping the dead toe nail sealed with a plaster until a new nail grows. I'm just wondering roughly how long it will take for the new nail to grow. Should I clip off the loose one as I assume it will eventually fall off anyway, or should I just let nature take its course, i.e. wait for a new nail to grow and for the old one to fall off naturally. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.How long will it take for my toenail to look normal again?
2 months maybe. at least 1 monthHow long will it take for my toenail to look normal again?
toenails take 6 full months to grow from the lunula (white moon part) to the tip of the toe. So, if the nail is dead and completely off, then 4-6 months. I am not sure why you are keeping the old nail on. Usually I just tear the old nail off and cover it with vaseline gauze. You can trim it off or remove it completely.


As it grows out, be careful to avoid letting the new nail grow into the skin on the sides of the nail and getting a bad hangnail.

No comments:

Post a Comment