Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is the best solution to a ingrown toenail?

My husband has terrible ingrown toe nails. One is pretty much infected. No matter how much I tell him to quit hacking at it he still wont listen. Anyways he doesnt have insurance so he cant go to the doctor about it. I just recently took a dremmel to the middle of his nail to file just the center strip down hoping that maybe it would release some of the pressure as it grows. If you know of anything that he can do or that I can do to fix it please let me know. Also if you know any kind of numbing agent that I can buy at a drugstore or somewhere else please let me know so that I can numb him before taking care of it. He is quite a big baby lol. Any help would be appreciated!!





Thanks :)What is the best solution to a ingrown toenail?
If it is early in the course of the ingrown toenail, then home care may be successful in preventing the need for surgery.





Soak the foot in warm water 4 times a day. You do not need to add soap or antibacterial agents to the water


Wash the foot including the affected area twice a day with soap and water. Keep the foot clean and dry during the rest of the day.


Do not wear high heels or tight-fitting shoes. Consider wearing sandals, if appropriate, until the condition clears up.


Try to lift up the corner of the nail that is digging into the skin. Take a small piece of cotton or gauze and roll it between your fingers to form a small roll or wick. Then place the roll between the nail and the skin to keep it elevated. This is painful but is the most important part of home treatment. After every soaking, try to push the roll a little farther in.


You may take a pain reliever such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.


If you see no improvement within 3 days, call your doctor.


Medical Treatment


If no acute infection is found, then the nail will be elevated and conservative treatment recommended. This consists of warm soaks, proper shoes, and frequent cleaning of the nail.What is the best solution to a ingrown toenail?
If he hasn't hacked away at it too much you can roll up a small piece of cotton (from a qtip is best) and squeeze it under the ingrown nail. It will stop the nail from growing into the toe while it is growing out. You also need to do daily baths with peroxide and epsom salts.
will my husband had the same problem will what l did was l went to walmart and bought some ingrown toe nail remover it's about $9.00 and it works great and numbs the toe so your husband can get it out believe my husband is a baby to l would differently try this Will worth it . hope this helps.
My grandmother had an ingrown toe nail, and had to get it removed, the whole toe-nail. =/ Good luck.
Alright time for a gross story...


You see I had an ingrown toenail from prying at my left toe. It was on the side. It took 3 months to get rid of it my parents tried everything salt water, ripping out my skin, it was just plain stupid when they could have gone to a freaking doctor and spent 10 dallors. So finanly they took my to the doctor, and everytime he provided anitoboitcs and everytime it came back after the anitibotics and so after 3 tries it was skin deep he took out a sharp projectile(toenail) that was jabing me, the pain would make me sit down for hours since I would hit it by accident. So he took it out and guess what after all those home operations it messed up my left toe nail and it kept growing into my skin. I was so shocked and infection came back. So the doctor took out a huge puss pocket and took out half my toe nail. It grew back in 3 months. 2 months after than I got another ingrown toe nail,. This time was drasicmeasures my doctor took me to a speacialst and he took out the same side (half) and he used a chemical to kill the half side so I would never grow half a toenail again but the skin would cover over it and now it looks like a regular toenai.





The moral is, don't poke at it and go to a doctor or it will get worst and you will get infections and cry with pain. It happened to me. so please just tell him to see a doctor
Did you say one is infected and he continues with the self surgery???? OMG !!!!


Don't do anything to the infected one, except apply triple ATB or Neosporin (they probably won't work all that well). When the infection gets worse and he can't walk, or if he sees his toe has turned purple/black He may get the big picture.


If you absolutely must join him in this behavior, try OraGel or Lanocaine (try each) before the procedure.





Don't quit encouraging him to see a podiatrist or at least, family doc.

No comments:

Post a Comment