Tuesday, August 24, 2010

OMG...what do I do with this ingrown toenail thing???

OMG!!....ok like a year ago, I was on my skateboard, and fell, and my shoe came off. Somehow I managed to break 2 toes. One was my big toe....and DANG....it was terribly painful!!! I live with my grandparents, and they are really stupid, and wouldn't even take me to the doctor to have it xrayed or whateva. anyways, every since then that same toe has had an ';ingrown'; toe nail. it isn't really bad, but like on the sides of the nail, the skin is really puffy and red, and once in a while puss will come out of there...I pick at it constantly, and try cutting my toe nail costantly. it is actually scary to me!...what do I do!!! I watched some videos of operations and stuff on youtube, and I am very freaked out!OMG...what do I do with this ingrown toenail thing???
You have to go to the doctor...the pus is not a good sign..that means you have a bad infection in your toe and if the infection spreads to your blood stream--the infection can go to your heart and you can possibly die...I am not an alarmist, this is the truth, I am a medical professional and spent 20 years in Cardiology...please see him tomorrow- if you can't get an appointment...go to the ER. In the meantime, try pouring peroxide over your toes and repeat pouring it until it doesn't foam as much and you don't feel the pain.....a podiatrist would be the correct doctor to see but an ER on the weekend is your best bet for fastest treatment...the ER can't make you pay if you don't have money and they can't refuse to treat you, so going there is your best bet. Until you go, wear sandals or flip flops ( they are rubber and are about $2 bucks to buy)...Shoes will cause the infection to get worse....good luck and go tomorrow, or now if you can get there.OMG...what do I do with this ingrown toenail thing???
Stop freaking %26amp; do something useful! First soak your foot with the ingrown nail in a weak solution of condys crystals to stop infection (the pus). Take care coz condys is poisonous %26amp; stains but the best immediate treatment (used by US army for foot infections). Next wear negative ion socks to improve circulation, protect the toe from rubbing %26amp; reduce perspiration. Next take yourself to the doctor to get referal for surgery as this is the only long-term solution.
If its an in growen toe nail the need to cut the side of your nail straight that way its not growing more in one place.. needs to be flat a doctor can do it u dont feel 1 thing
ewwwww dont pick itgo see a doctor and get it checked out!
I have been cursed with ingrown toenail problems on both my big toes and have never had to much luck having them grow back in correctly although now my left one is normal again thank god. when i had them done i.e. cut out I had no problems they use a pain killer on the area although it doesn't get rid of all the pain it does a lot of good and to help you out last time I had mine done i read a magazine the whole time they were cutting them out and was very relaxed. Trust me on this their is nothing to be scared or freaked out about.
OMG!! I'm in the same position as you right now!! Only I didn't break my toes or anything, just have an ingrown toenail which I have stupidly left for almost a year and now it's on both sides of the nail as well.





But this has happened to me several times (my toes just doesn't want to grow properly and I'm too lazy to prevent it). But this is the first time it has been on both sides of my toenail. Freaking painful and disgusting to look at isn't it?





I'll tell you about the operation, all right buddy? I also went on youtube and couldn't bring myself to watch the videos, it looks really bad, but honestly you don't have to look and you don't feel a thing.... well except the numbing jabs (which always sting like hell no matter what the operation is). I got two jabs to numb my toe. The first one hurts, the second is REALLY painful, but of course bearable (Just a warning so there's no surprises, and remember the pain only lasts about 10 seconds or so - nowhere near the pain you get from banging your ingrown toenail into a door!). After that they will leave you for a bit till your toe goes numb, they'll come back and operate, you can basically look out the window for about 10-15 minutes and it'll be done.





They just get underneath the skin that's swollen over the nail and pull the excess nail out and cut the side off (so you're left with just over half a nail - don't worry, sounds way worse than it actually is, it grows back properly). And then clean out the infection, and cover it with gauze and bandages.





WARNING: Keep your foot elevated after the operation! On my first time, I just went home and went onto the computer with my feet just dangling off the seat, and about 2 hours later the numbing stuff wore off. I went from feeling nothing to excruciating pain within 3 seconds! I had sat there for 2 hours allowing heaps of blood to put pressure on the wound, and the REALLY hurt!





On my second time, I went home and kept my foot up on a chair in front of the couch while I watched TV. The numbing stuff wore off, and all I felt was a slight tingle and just a little pain (as you expect after an operation), but the pain heals within a day or so. And it's rather ignorable pain. You'll notice it, and then after a while forget about it if you're watching TV. Don't worry about that at all.





And to be safe from then on, never wear tight shoes, and always cut your toenail across (don't round you nails, because then that's just asking for it again).





So good luck, and don't worry about it. Remember if you're squeamish, just don't look, maybe even bring a book or something.





And wish me luck, I'm getting mine done next week! Can't wait for this stupid infected toe to get fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment